Volunteers continue to be a critical part of our success, and we appreciate all of the hard work and dedication that has been put into the project. We love our volunteers!
Our volunteers can help with Farmer’s Markets, tours, education programs, deconstruction, and a wide variety of Plant Chicago special projects. We ask that people interested in volunteering first attend a volunteer orientation.
Next volunteer orientation is Saturday December 19 from 9:30 – 11 am
ATTENTION VOLUNTEERS: There will be no volunteer opportunities on Saturday, November 28 during Thanksgiving break! Thank YOU for all your amazing work.
- Volunteers should arrive at The Plant at least five to ten minutes before each shift. See our Contact page for information about getting to The Plant. Just ring the doorbell when you arrive.
- Please check in with the Volunteer Coordinator before beginning your volunteer work. Plant Chicago’s Volunteer Coordinator will assign each volunteer work for the day after signing in and filling out any necessary paperwork.
- Volunteers who are present for a whole workday, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., are invited to join us for lunch!
- Please wear closed-toed shoes and clothes that can get dirty. During colder weather, please be sure to dress warm as most of the building is unheated.
Plant Chicago offers volunteer opportunities every Saturday for the following shifts:
- 10 am – 1 pm
- 2 pm – 5 pm
- 10 am – 5 pm (full day volunteers are welcome to stay for lunch!)
Volunteer tasks include Farmers Market setup/takedown (market days are every first Saturday of the month), Farmers Market community outreach, working on building deconstruction with Bubbly Dynamics, waste management (grinding food waste for various waste/soil projects), cleaning up farm spaces and becoming a volunteer tour guide.
Interested in becoming a Tour Guide for Plant Chicago? Email Kassie Hinrichsen, our Education Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org to get trained up or for more information. We offer Group Tours for a variety of groups from school field trips to community organizations Tuesday – Saturday, and Public Tours every Saturday at 2 pm and at 11:30 am on Market Saturdays.
For groups of five or more interested in volunteering at The Plant, please email us at email@example.com to see if there are upcoming projects to assist with. Because we operate with a very small staff, we cannot always accommodate large groups of volunteers.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.